Introducing: Youth Writing Contest.
Enter in your chance to win.
Deadline is September 30th.
Form: Flash Fiction
Topic: A Unique Perspective of Life in McDonald County
Length: 250 words maximum
Deadline: September 30th, 2019
Submission: Instructions Below
Age/Grade: Entries will be categorized in three brackets: 5th & 6th grade, 7th & 8th grade, and 9th-12th grade
Results: Three winners per bracket will be selected.
Prizes: The winners of each bracket will receive the following prizes:
- First place – $100
- Second place – $50
- Third place – $25
- Honorable Mention – Certificate
Further information and advice
The McDonald County Historical Society, the McDonald County Library, and the Jane Preservation Society interests lie in
- Promoting the art of writing among the youth of McDonald County
- Promoting appreciation of the rich history, unique places, and the exciting present of McDonald County
Judges will be looking for writing that is creative, displays excellent conventional writing skills, and entertains the reader while writing about a unique perspective of life in McDonald County.
To be eligible, the entry must be:
- Written by a McDonald County resident or attend McDonald County Schools
- Typed-written is preferred but not required
- By a writer within the age/grade bracket at the time of submission
- An original piece of work
- Submitted on or before the due date
- Formatted according to the submission instructions
The first page of the document should be a cover sheet announcing:
- Contest (iWrite Celebration);
- Category (5th/6th grade, 7th/8th grade, or 9th-12th grade);
- Story’s title
- Author’s name
- Phone number
Because of blind judging requirements, no identifying information except title and page number in the header should appear on succeeding pages.
Entries may be submitted handwritten, but typed is preferred as a Word document, Google doc, or similar format in the following ways:
- Entries will be picked up at each school’s front office the afternoon of September 30th
- Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: iWrite Celebration Entry
- Bring to a McDonald County Library branch location; Pineville, Noel, Southwest City
For questions, please call the McDonald County Library’s Pineville office, (417) 223-4489.