K. Procedure for Citizens Request
Approved by Board 12-10-98
Reconsideration of Library Material
1. Any citizen of the county who objects to library material may voice such objection by filling out a “Request for Reconsideration of Library Material” which is available at the library, and presenting it to a member of the library staff.
2. Copies of the “Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials” shall be available at the library at all times.
3. The librarian will review the request, add remarks as appropriate, and forward the complaint to the Board of Trustees.
4. The Board of Trustees will review the request, consider the comments of the librarian, and advise the person(s) filing the request as to the disposition of the complaint.
5. In determining appropriate action on requests for reconsideration the Board shall consider:
a. The material’s role in fulfilling the library’s stated mission.
b. The library’s Material Selection Policy.
c. The “Library Bill of Rights” (included in this manual and supported by the Board)
d. The “Freedom to Read Statement” (included in this manual and supported by the Board)
e. The “Freedom to View Statement” (included in this manual and supported by the Board)
Material for posting to the bulletin board, or flyers and brochures for free
distribution to the public, must be legal, non-profit, non-commercial, non-political,
and approved by the Librarian.