Tax Levy Hearing – The board gathered for its annual tax levy hearing. According to the paperwork from the county, sent by the State Auditor’s Office, the library can set the 2011 tax levy at the full ten cents as allowed by the Hancock Amendment. Ann made a motion to set the tax levy at 10 cents, Rachel seconded, and the motion passed unanimously. Carrie will fill out the paperwork and submit it to the County Clerk’s office.
Roll Call – The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m. Those members present were Carrie Cline, Alice Snodgrass, Rachel Abercrombie, Erlene Gideon, and Ann Crowder-Sanders. Sheila Owens was unable to attend.
Reading of Minutes - After reading and discussing the July minutes, Rachel made a motion to approve them as written, Erlene seconded, and the minutes were approved as written.
- Carrie presented the July statistics.
- The Summer Reading Program was a wonderful success, and Carrie presented final tallies. Debra Coffee from the McDonald County School Libraries, said that in the month of June, thanks to the Summer Reading Program grant that kept the school libraries open during Summer School, they circulated 3,320 items. A third of these items circulated at the Noel Elementary School alone, and Susan Needham was extremely busy over there.
- The Methodist Church in Noel collected offerings during their VBS, and donated the full amount to the Noel Library, $210.
- Shannon Crosswhite (nee Schlessman) has found employment in Joplin and will be leaving the library staff.
- While spending the $10,000 of the Targeted Collections Grant, the library staff have already found wonderful deals for the SW City Library, and have already begun purchasing. Carrie has created a separate line item for the SW City Library to keep things straight, once the money comes in from the Foundation.
- When Joyce Hollums passed away, several donations were given to the library in her memory. To date, we have received $470, all of which have been acknowledged with a thank-you card.
Public comments on agenda items - none
Old Business - none
New Business - none
General public comments - none
Adjourn - Ann made a motion to adjourn the meeting, Erlene seconded, and the meeting was adjourned at 10:40 a.m. The next meeting will be held on Saturday, September 11th.